Spring Grove Dam, situated in the Mgeni Water System in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa is a Roller Compacted Concrete Dam (RCC), with a 607m crest length. The structure includes a free crest spillway with a crest length of 70m over RCC. The dam structure futures a rock-fill clay-core coffer wall/embankment stretching 325m.
Spring Grove Dam was constructed by Group 5 Pandev Joint Venture and has an active storage capacity of 139.5 million m³.
Spring Grove Dam Instrumentation consists of the following:
- Vibrating Wire Embedment Strain Gauges in the RCC measuring strain.
- Vibrating Wire Long Base Strain/Jointmeters measuring over induced joints.
- Vibrating Wire Thermometers measuring temperature.
- Thermistors measuring temperature.
- Six Vibrating Wire Rod Extensometers (inclined and horizontal) measuring zone movement and tilt.
- Vibrating Wire Foundation Piezometers for measuring pore pressure.
- 28 individual 3-D Mechanical Crackmeters measuring three-dimensional movement on the crest.
- Vibrating Wire Transducer measuring seepage.
Instruments installed in and around the Dam Embankment are intended to monitor:
Installed Instruments Specification:
- Tilt of the Dam;
- Measuring movement over the induced joints;
- Stresses and strain of the concrete;
- Total downstream seepage;
- Pore pressure build-up in foundation;
- Lake level water height.
Consulting Engineers: BKS
Contractors: Group 5
- V-Notch Weir (Dam, Outlet works)
- • Soils Vibrating Wire Transducers Vented Model 4580
- Piezometers (Clay Core and RCC Dam Wall)
- • Soils Vibrating Wire Model W9-50-SST
- Joint Meters (Rcc Joints center spillway)
- • Soils Vibrating Wire Model ST-JI-4-1000
- Strain Gages (Centre Rcc Wall and flanks)
- • Soils Vibrating Wire Model ST4-S250-3-1
- Standpipes (Manual measuring holes downstream from dam)
- • Geotechnical Instrumentation Casagrande Standpipes
- Rod Extensometers (Spillway)
- • ITMsoil Vibrating Wire Transducers Model E7-1.1-6
- Thermometers/Thermistors(Up to Downstream in Rcc)
- • Soils Vibrating Wire T3-1.1/TM1-75
- 3 D Crack meters Manual
- • Geotechnical Instrumentation 3D Crackmeter with Dial Gauge
- Data Acquisition System CR800/1000 (Valve House)
- • ITMSOIL Data Logger CR1000
Spring Grove Joint Venture